January 1st. was my 30th birthday! Yay!…And what a way to celebrate such a milestone than to watch movies all day and eating lazy-style healthy food?. LOL. For the special occasion I did nothing “special” except I prepared one of my favorite salads, Roasted Beets salad. Extremely easy, delicious and nutritious.
Roasted beets: Full of flavor
Not sure if you know, beets and cumin go extremely well together and that is why this humble salad is made with fragrant cumin-parsley combo. The combo is the bomb. Don’t let the humble ingredients fool you and try it for yourself.
- 400 grs Beets, roasted.
- 100 grs white onions, julienne
- 50 grs fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin Olive Oil
- 1-1/2 tsp Cumin powder
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Chopped Parsley, for garnish
- To roast your beets, wrap each one in aluminium foil (cut them in half if they are too big) and roast for about an hour at 200°C (about 400°F) or until they are cooked through. Let cool down in the oven a bit, peel and dice.
- Sautee onions in a frying pan with the olive oil until they are translucent, add the beets and cumin and cook for 3 minutes, until the cumin is fragrant.
- Add chopped fresh parsley and season with salt and pepper to taste (I usually add just a pinch since the beets are already very flavorful). Mix everything thoroughly.
- Turn off the heat and garnish with some more chopped parsley.
- You can eat the salad warm or cold.
If you ever want this even easier get your hand on some store-bought boiled beets (not the canned ones, yuck). They will be delicious either way!
Until next time!